Sunday, October 27, 2013

Wedding Cake Box for an Anniversary!


Well, I can't believe it, but I made another one..... the 


Wedding Cake Gift Card Holder Box!!

Only this time it was for an Anniversary... for our son and DIL. You can click on the photos to see the larger image. I have the instructions for one of these in the blog post of my first cake box... you can find it here. So I'm not going to print out all the instructions again! I'll try to point out the different things I did on this one, and any new instructions needed. 

Front View

On this cake, I covered the layers with CTMH cardstock in Sunkiss Yellow, but I did not emboss any of the "cake" layers. I decided to apply the cardstock with strong double-sided tape, instead of the wet glue I used on the first cake. I ended up having to use wet glue to get the ends to stay put anyway, so I recommend using a wet glue for entirely covering the boxes, as it gave me a much better permanent bond. 

And this time I tinted the pearl paint with the CTMH Sunkiss Yellow reinker before painting the layers, to keep the color from turning a lighter yellow. 

Left Side

Also the white satin ribbon is the real deal here, not paper 'ribbons'! I had to put the ribbon on in two layers, as the yellow pearl paint bled through the first ribbon layer where I had applied the glue. (Oh no!) But the top ribbon layer covered those spots very nicely! Whew... avoided disaster!

I did not use glitter to cover the hot-glue seams between the layers like I had done before. This time I went over them with Liquid Pearls in White Opal.

Back View

Instead of the 'spikey' flowers on the first cake, I chose daisies, as this is her favorite flower, and what their real wedding cake had all over it. 

I made each daisy by punching 2 flower layers and then snipping a "v" shape from the end of each petal (very time consuming, lol). I slightly rotated the 2 layers to offset the petals just a little bit. The center of each is actually a button... yes, buttons.... BUT they are covered with a 2-tone mix of Flower Soft that I blended myself. I love how they turned out with their fuzzy centers! 

I chose to arrange them not only throughout the cascade, but around the middle cake layer. That's why no embossing was needed on the middle layer, like I did on the first cake. And I used the Bitty Pearls on the top and bottom layers.


Right Side

The carnations and 'itty-bitty' flowers are made just like before... just color changes, with darker inked edges.... Amethyst CS with Gypsy inked edges and Blush CS with Cotton Candy inked edges on the carnations, and the 'itty-bitty's' and small carnations are done in White Daisy CS with Sunkiss Yellow inked edges. Some of the carnations are plain white and some of the 'itty-bitty's' are also sprayed with Glitz Spritz in Sunset Pink before adding the Liquid Pearl centers.

The leaves are different...... instead of hand cutting and inking them, I just purchased these pretty 2-toned ones from I Am Roses. I think they match the overall cake very well. 


Top

The pearl hat pin is again holding the center flower on, and it with it's leaves, are covering the gift card and slot in the top of the box. The skinny yellow ribbon is attached to the gift card for easy removal and then the center flower can be replaced! 

I mounted the cake on white with punched border, then on gold mirricard, and finally the chipboard base to stabilize the whole project.

OK... I think I have covered it all.... so I hope y'all like this box as well as the first one!


Supplies:
CTMH: Cardstock - Amethyst, Blush, Sunkiss Yellow and White Daisy; Inks - Cotton Candy, Gypsy and Sunkiss Yellow; Reinker - Sunkiss Yellow; Pearl Paint; Bitty Pearls
Lindy's Stamp Gang: Glitz Spritz - Sunset Pink
I Am Roses: 2-toned leaves
Liquid Pearls - White Opal
Flower Soft and Flower Soft Glue
Marco's Paper: Mirricard
Other items: Assorted punches; foam brush; X-acto knife; paper mache nesting boxes; Scor-Tape; hot glue; glue dots; chipboard; pearl hat pin; white and yellow satin ribbons; buttons; brads






2 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Paula....YES YES! I LOVE THIS BOX! I made one similar last summer, and I left it cream coloured but added some white glitter paint to the scalloped edges of the lids...it's quite pretty! But look at this golden cake. Isn't it fun to craft? BRAVO! And thank you kindly for your visit and your lovely words. Learning to write is a process, and it is also a personal and sacred activity. Thank you so much for your encouragement and though my mother died 27 years ago, it is always a joy to write about her. May YOU continue to seek your passions in the arts and just have FUN - giving tribute to those you love. PEACE! Anita

Tlc Creations said...

Wow...this is gorgeous~!
Paulette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...