Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Wedding Cake Gift Card Box #3



Well another wedding under our belts! Our beautiful daughter was married last month, and over the last few weeks, I've been sharing wedding projects I've made for her... 

This is the final project.... a white wedding cake gift card box, decorated in her wedding colors of mint and navy!

These boxes are truly a labor of love. Under the very top flower on the top, hides a gift card tucked down inside the middle of the top 2 tiers. Except for the lace around the base and the ribbon around each cake layer, this is completely made out of paper!


(click on photos to view larger images)
This a close-up of the front corner floral accent. I made these flowers myself out of cardstock. The leaves are made with mulberry paper in white, which I inked with mint to create their "green" color. 

At the top of this post is the view of the cake from the front. Going around the cake, the next photos show it from all sides..... first, the left side:



Next, the back:



Then the right side with it's cascade of flowers:




I think I used about 40 flowers on this project!! I handmade all of them except the 9 mulberry paper roses. I bought those (and the leaves) from 
I Am Roses. They were white to start with, but I inked the edges on 4 of them in navy. The other 5 larger ones, I painted with Starburst Spray from Lindy's Stamp Gang.... they are the solid "navy" ones. Finally, I sprayed all the flowers with their Scintillating Silver Shimmer spray! Yummy... seriously LOVE that stuff, LOL!!

This close-up of the flower cascade shows a little more detail, but still does not capture how incredibly shimmery all the flowers turned out! I used Liquid Pearls for the centers of the small ones:



I'm showing two photos of the top of the cake... one is a little closer look:




(click photo to view larger images)

That top carnation, with it's 4 leaves, is covering the gift card and slot. The flower is held in place with a pearl-topped, long floral pin. The entire thing just pulls out and then can be replaced after the gift card is removed!

I hope you like my creation and are inspired to try one yourself!

You can view my first two wedding cake gift card boxes by clicking on them in the left sidebar. There are links in those posts to the shops - Lindy's Stamp Gang & I Am Roses - and links to the tutorials for the handmade flowers as well. :)

Thanks for stopping by today. 





4 comments:

Laurie Unger said...

Holy Moses! This is just the most wonderful thing I've ever seen!

Paula said...

I'm overwhelmed, Laurie!.... Your comment actually brought tears of joy to my eyes. I'm so glad you like my creation. It truly was a labor of love. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for showing us this awesome cake, I am having trouble finding the tutorial on how to actually make the cake itself. I am making flowers all over now this is amazing. Please help.

Paula said...

HOW TO MAKE the CAKE ITSELF.... if you click on the cake photo in left sidebar that has the red and yellow-orange flowers on it, I have all the instructions, that I was given, typed out underneath the top photo in blog post. There were very few instructions, and I basically had to take those, then look at the cake photo Tracey had made, and figure the rest out for myself. I can tell you though, that nesting paper mache boxes come in different sizes and ultimately the size you get will determine how tall and how large around the cake will be. My cakes ended up being about 11" tall, and if I remember right, the "layers" were 4", 5" and 6" in diameter... (use them WITHOUT their lids). Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions. You can also maybe find video tutorials on YouTube for something similar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...